Monday, June 23, 2014

Annie Hicks Free History by Louesa Eve Free Rock


 
 
History of Annie Hicks Free

Hand Cart Pioneer

Arrived in Utah Nov 30, 1856

Written by:

Louesa Free Rock, Daughter

Wells Ward Camp

Daughters of Utah Pioneers

 

My mother, Annie Hicks Free, was born January 8, 1837 in Barking Essex, England, the younger daughter of Daniel Hicks and Hannah Wenlock Hicks.  Her only sister Louesa Hicks was two years her senior.

 

Her father, being a sailor, was away from home much of his time.  He was captain of a ship which left England a few months before Mother was born.  One of the first things that she could remember was looking forward to the return of her father.  She would say many times a day, when she saw a man that she didn't know, "Is that my father!"

 

Her mother laughingly said, "No be off with you, your father's a black man."  When he came he was unshaven and very rough looking with long black hair, black beard and a mustache.

 

Her mother was very anxious for her to be nice but when she saw her father she said crying, "Oh! my father is a black man."  She was four years old when he returned never having seen him before.

 

On his last sea voyage he became very sick and from then on was a confirmed invalid thus making necessary for her mother to secure work in the Work Shop.  While yet a small child, my mother was taken to the work shop with her mother.  She was so small that she sat on a stool and learned to knit.  At a very early sage she was forced to provide for herself.  In her own brief history she days, "as a child I was very devout, praying and asking God for guidance and firmly believing that he would protect me from all wrong.  And surely I have been saved many times from most certain evil.

 

The only schools available at that time were private schools which were very expensive so her mother taught her to read and write.  However, she was very studious and learned very rapidly.

 

We have no record of any of her youthful experiences and amusements.

 

She was a member of the Church of England

 

From her own brief writings of her life, she says, "I was alone, or rather away from my own people at the time I first heard the Gospel and I think I loved it the first time I heard it; it seemed to quiet and pleasant to me.  I embraced the Gospel and was baptized on January 17, 1855 in the White Chapel Branch, in London England.  Shortly after my baptism, before I had been confirmed, my relatives sent me a terrible book against the Mormons, marking it in many places for me to read.  The tales were so wicked, I was afriad I had done wrong and decided to ask the Lord to direct me aright, never doubting but that I would be answered.  I fervently pleaded with our Father to answer my prayer that night as my confirmation was to take place the following morning.

 

"I immediately was comforted by a wonderful dream.  A large book, the Book of Life, was opened before me and leaves were turned in rapid succession until the page with my record was found.  On the page was my name without a mar or blemish against it.  A loud clear voice spoke to me saying, "This is the way, walk ye in it."  I was overjoyed at this revelation and never doubted the Gospel from that time on.  You may be assured I was confirmed the next day, feeling perfectly happy and satisfied.

 

"From then on my relative were very unkind and cruel to me.  I worked very hard to obtain enough money come to America.  I would knit from early morning until evening in the London Work Shop.

 

"On the twenty-third day of May 1856, I sailed for America on the ship Horizon, beginning my journey to Zion.  I crossed the plains with the belated Handcart Company of Edward Martin.  We underwent numerous hardships and lost many of our good and faithful band on the way.

 

"I have been asked to relate an incident or two that might be of interest to you.  On which I recall very clearly occurred as we crossed the Platte River.  The stream was very strong and the water bitter cold, making it very hard to cross.  In the company was a widow with her family.  Her oldest son, a fine young chap, had started across the river with his hard-cart, but the current was so strong that he was borne down stream.  Seeing the boy's condition, I ran down the bank of the river and went into it in time to catch the boy and his hard-cart.  I helped him to shore, but he was almost frozen.  In the evening when the company made camp the boy's mother was going out to gather chips of wood but the boy insisted upon going himself.  When he had been gone quite a long time a search was made for him and he was found frozen to death with sticks in his hand.

 

Another incident which I well remember mother relating, I will give briefly--One bitter cold day they were forced to make camp early because it was impossible to go further without help.  A prayer meeting was called and they prayed to the Lord for relief.  Immediately when they arose from their knees a young man shouted, "Look a horseman is coming."  The whole company looked off in the distance but could see no one.  The young man persisted and in a short time they could all see a speck in the distance.  They watched patiently as her came nearer and nearer.  When he arrived he brought the good news that relief was near."

 

Another incident on their journey just before they arrived in the Valley happened at Devil's kitchen.  The company had made camp and Mother was nearly frozen to death.  She was cold and very drowsy and had slumped down on the ground when Sister Nightengale tired to arouse her.  When she didn't respond she said to mother, "Well are you going to shirk and drink the water and old women hauls for you?"

 

Mother then said, "I have never shirked in all my life, give me the pail."  When she returned Sister Nightengale said, "Ann, I had to do it to save your life, to get your blood circulating.

 

She was forced to leave all her belongings on the plains so all her earthly possessions were on her back.

 

Mother reached the Valley on the last day of November 1856 with not one friend to meet her.  She was taken to the home of Brother Ellerbeck where she did housework for which she was paid 75 cents per week.  She also did their knitting, sewing and embroidery work.

 

On March 5, 1857, she was married to my father, Absalom Pennington Free, who was a Patriarch of the Church.  She was the mother of 7 children, all of whom grew to man and womanhood and survived her.

 

Mother was a women of rare ability.  She was possessed of a power of discernment that she could foretell things to come.  She was a great lover of good books, Charles Dickens being her favorite writer.  She could remember so many placed that he wrote about in England, and she knew well that he did not exaggerate.  His descriptions were so clear.

 

She was a gifted writer and wrote many beautiful poems.  For many years she was Secretary of the Farmer' Ward Relief Society, and her records were kept beautifully.

 

Mother was a dignified women who was noticed wherever she went. Her later life was devoted to reading and needle work.  She lived very comfortably on her income from the farm where she lived for 56 years.  Her death came at the age of 89 years and 7 months, dying on August 27,1926  at her home 370 East 21st South, Salt Lake City, Utah.

 

It gives me a great deal of pride to write this brief history because I was always proud of my Mother.

 

--Louesa Free Rock

No comments:

Post a Comment