Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Heavenly Education by Dallas Max Schneider

 
 
Heavenly Education

Excerpt from Remembrances of Orval Dallas Schneider, My Father

By His Son Dallas Max Schneider 
 

My mother, Rosabelle Larsen Schneider, use to say to me, "Oh I wish your dad had some education. He is plenty smart enough."

After Orval Dallas had passed from this life, I had the most wonderful dream about him. He came walking into the dry-cleaning plant with his father, my grandfather, Frank William Schneider. They looked like twins but I knew that it was my grandfather. He said nothing but smiled at me.

I spoke to my father, who had a large roll of individual sheets of paper rolled up under his arm, "Where have you been dad?" He replied, "I have been going to school at BYU and I have come to show you some of my work." Then he proceeded to lay the sheets out on the counter. The work he was showing me looked like some sort of mechanical drawing and on the first page, written in blue pencil was the numbers 78%.

I asked, "What is that?"

"That is my grade," and we turned a few more pages and there was some writing in the same blue pencil.

"What is that?"

"It is the teachers remarks and it say's, thanks for improving 20%."

At that point they both faded away and the pleasant dream was over. I lay in bed musing over this scene I had experienced and luxuriated in its deliciousness for some time. That's what heaven must be like, perfect teaching conditions and endless energy. I would speculate that he can read real well now.

Oravl Dallas had his faults but his virtues shined in gleaming display, far above his flaws.  I hope these stories put flesh and bones on your grandfather and you can enjoy the memory of him as I do.--His son Dallas Max Schneider

No comments:

Post a Comment