Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Bus by Marilyn Ruesch Schneider


THE BUS
By Marilyn Ruesch Schneider

 

I grew up in the huge sprawling metropolis of Los Angeles. The only real shopping area then was downtown, a dirty, rather unsavory place, with only a few central blocks, somewhat safe from drunks, pickpockets and other crime.

By the time I was 15 or 16 years old I was going shopping on my own. My mother tried to keep me safe on these outings by giving me a short lecture before I left each time. It went like this "Marilyn, pay attention! Don't speak to anyone. If someone speaks to you, pretend you don't hear them, turn the other way and walk as fast as you can. Never smile or show any reaction no matter what they say."  I knew the lecture by heart by then.

In those days few people had automobiles. My father had one but it stayed in the garage except for vacations and other shorter pleasure outings. I was very used to walking or taking the bus wherever I went. People in that big city were wary of strangers. We actually had only one neighbor we had ever spoken to. Fear was everywhere.

And so, one year when I was about 17, I took the bus downtown on Christmas Eve to do all my shopping in one day. (Most people didn't shop very far ahead for Christmas) Late in the day, very tired, I got on the bus for the 30-minute ride home. I was among those standing in the aisle holding tightly onto a pole, guarding my purse and many packages as the driver made his way slowly through the congested streets. 

Everyone on the bus was very quiet and remote from those physically dose.  We all tried not to come into contact as the bus swayed back and forth. People inched their way on and off at the frequent stops.

At one of the stops a man got on carrying a large guitar case and made his way to the back of the bus where he saw an empty seat. As he sat down he yelled "Merry Christmas!" Nobody answered. Then he said "Oh come on, everybody- It's Christmas Eve. Why don't we sing?"

Then he pulled out his guitar and started to play and sing Christmas carols. There was a shocked silence for a moment, then first one and then another of the people on the bus started to sing with him.

Soon the whole atmosphere of the bus had changed and everyone was singing and laughing, many with tears streaming down their faces. We sang song after song. As people got off at their stops we all called out "Merry Christmas" and either shook hands or hugged them as they passed us.

No comments:

Post a Comment